A swing is an ideal way for children to have fun in the comfort of their household or public playground. Most adults can remember enjoying this activity as a child. It can be fun to create and will bring joy to whichever child gets the benefit of using it. By just collecting a few materials and tools that are normally available at home you will have your very own swing set.
- Post hole digger
- Eye bolts
- Steel clips
- Nuts (galvanized)
- Bolts (galvanized)
- Washers (galvanized)
- Wood (treated)
- Rope or chain
- Large tire
- Design a layout of the swing set and determine where you would like it to be. It is better to choose a location that has a lot of grass and doesn’t have a lot of objects around that could cause harm. Then level the area.
- Use a post-hole digger to excavate the swing set foundation by making four holes about 1 inch in diameter and 4 inches deep and secure the distance between each hole in accordance with the plan.
- Place the anchors into the hole and pour concrete in after and allow it to dry and set. Miter the edges of the lumber and connect it to the anchor according to the height to erect the swing set. Then place another piece of lumber as the top beam to attach the swing.
- Install four bracing boards to connect to the swing set legs. Drill holes into them and install them with nuts, washers, and bolts; this structure will help to further strengthen the swing set.
- Use sandpaper and smooth off the rough parts of the wood. Set up the swings onto the top beam according to the plan by screwing in the eye bolts into the beam and clipping galvanized steel clips to attach the extension for the swing whether it be rope or chain.
- Prime and paint the swing set to your liking and mount the seating. The seating can be made from wood or by using a large tire.
Tips and Warning
- The swing set may also be made from metal; however, metal swings are easily eroded. So a lot of people prefer to make them from lumber because it tends to be more durable and has a more natural look and feel to blend in with the outdoors.
- Before you allow any children to go on the swing set make certain that you test it for yourself to secure that it is intact and working properly to support the weight.
- If you are using a tire for the seat of the swing set, bore drainage holes so mosquitoes don’t use it as a breeding ground.
- You can consult a home store or various websites for different types of swing set designs.