Stucco is a resourceful material used to coat the inside and out of a room. A stucco house (as the name suggests) would then be described as a room made with the use of stucco. This material has been used for many years and works very well in hot, dry climates because it helps to keep those inside cool. It can be made at home from water, cement, sand, hydrated lime, and Portland cement but most prefer to source it from their department store.
- Drill (with drill bits)
- Staple Gun
- Wire lathe
- Stucco Mix
- First, you need to make the foundations which as you know for any structure is the most important component. You have two options to choose from wall or slab foundation. When you have decided which you will use, pour the foundation so it can be connected to the subsoil.
- Build the stucco house walls using materials such as hay bails. Hay bails are good for keeping a stucco house cool, then use stucco for the final fixture. When this is done, install the electrical and plumbing fixtures. Use the wire lathe to make the roofing and attach wire mesh to the walls by using nails and staples to fasten it together. Make certain the meshed is held tightly to the wall.
- Mix the stucco according to your preference, whether, rigid, very wet, or ice-cream-like. Then use the stucco as the scratch coat to fill the space and make the initial connection to the mesh. Lay it on with your trowel in a push and smooth motion. Try and push the mortar into the mesh voids/holes. The finished surface should be moderately smooth.
- Now it is time to trowel on the final coat of stucco. When applying the stucco, try getting it as even as possible and if it starts to dry too quickly use water to moisten the area.
- Paint the stucco house to give it the final look. This can help beautify your stucco house
Tips and Warning
- When building a stucco house in a location that has frost, construct the foundation so it goes below the frost line, If not the foundation will be likely to crack or shift.
- You can build your stucco house with a tint. When painting, power sprayers are a lot easier to use than the traditional paintbrush.
- You may need help from a licensed contractor to help out with making a stucco house.