Go-karts are small-sized four-wheeled vehicles that are used in racing competitions or just simply driving for fun. Some go-karts are built with engines and most of the components are found in a regular vehicle so they can move at an optimum speed. In this article, we will provide you with information to build one made from wood that does not require engines or a lot of high-tech mechanisms. Follow the steps below to build a wooden go kart
- Table Saw
- Tape measure
- Screws (1½ inch galvanized)
- Bolt and nuts
- Washers and split pins
- Have an idea of the dimensions of the go-kart. A go-kart is made to fit only one person at a time; however different persons may use it so find an average measurement that will allow all the persons who intend to use it, enough space for access.
- Use the table saw and cut out the different pieces of the wooden go-kart. Cut out the base frame of the go-kart and the axle. For this article, we will use 3 feet * 9 inches and 17 inches for the size of the go-kart base frame and the axle respectively.
- Use sandpaper to sand down the surface of the framing, then Stain and paint the wood pieces to protect it from elements that may cause deterioration and to give it a smooth finish. Then allow the coating to dry and add more as directed.
- Take the two axles and then use washers and split pins to fasten them both in the center of the front and rear end of the go-kart frame. Check that the axles are fixed firmly.
- Install all four wheels onto the end of the axles. Check that the wheels are sturdy enough and are able to manage the weight of the person who will be driving the go-kart.
- Set up the steering mechanism with the use of a rope to the frame. Use the tape measure to calculate where the center of the go-kart frame is so the bolt and nuts can be centered. Connect the rope using a bowline knot to both ends of the front axle.
- Install the braking system with the use of bicycle brakes. Then use metal bolts and place them in firmly.
- Now it is time to install a seat for the go-kart. You can buy a go-kart seat or for this project, you can use plastic seating from an old chair or you can also use foam.
- Drive the go-kart for yourself to test if everything is properly aligned, driving well, and that everything is working as planned. There you have your very own wooden go-kart.
Tips and Warning
- Most of the items used on the wooden go-kart can be found at junkyards where they can be disconnected from other old items. Things such as the seat, bearings, wheels, and axles can be found on old bikes and baby carriages.
- When constructing the go-kart, secure that enough space is provided to place your feet between the wheels and the base. Your feet will aid in the steering process so these need to have enough room to move freely.
- Centering the nuts and bolt to connect the axle prevents the go-kart from being unbalanced and uneven. If the go-kart is in any way unbalanced it will cause it to swerve too much to one side on its own.
- practice safety when driving the go-kart by wearing knee pads and a helmet.
- You may also add color or designs to your go-kart to show your individuality and originality.
- There are various types of go-kart designs that you can research to exercise your creativity and put your own twist on how it is made.