The windmill has been an important part of many lives for many centuries, before the age when they became well advanced. Windmills use the energy from the wind to turn large rotating blades to pump water and grind grains for food. In today’s world, a windmill is now mainly used to generate electrical energy and is becoming even more popular in the general household. This article will show you how you start building a windmill of your very own and start benefiting from wind energy.
- Aluminum Blades
- PVC piping
- Electrical Fixtures
- Select the area where you would like your windmill to be situated. Examine the landscape and all its components and design the windmill to be at least 30 feet above the nearest obstacle. Then get the windmill plans to guide you through the construction process.
- The next step is laying the foundation, for this we will be using a concrete structure. The foundation should be one of the firmer parts of the windmill. For every 5 feet of height, the windmill should have about 18 inches square of foundation.
- Use lattice sections, guide wires, and plastic or metal tubing to construct the windmill tower by using a drill to screw each piece together in accordance with the windmill designs.
- Install all the electrical fittings through the necessary piping in the windmill tower from where the battery source should be. Then get the rotor, the nacelle, the turbine, the blades, and the wires and set them up at the top of the tower. Now connect the electrical wiring to the rotor and turbines and the battery, then the battery should be connected to an external transformer.
- Now move the tower upright onto the foundation so it is sturdy enough to sustain itself from the oncoming winds and then connect the electrical guide wiring. Then install the transformer unit in your home so the energy from the windmill can be transferred to your house for use.
Tips and Warning
- In most cases, windmills are only able to consistently supply power to basic household items such as a fridge, a TV, and/or a cell phone and they may not be able to supply power to these items all at once
- Bear in mind that the power supplied by the windmill will be periodic, as energy is only attained when the wind is present. If there is no wind, no energy will be received. However when in use, it can really help to lower your energy bill.
- It is especially advised that you seek the assistance of a professional contractor when doing this project. There may be complicated issues you may want to attend to on the spot, which will require the knowledge of a professional. Consult a licensed electrician to have electrical components properly installed
- When constructing a windmill it is advised to use aluminum blades instead of the more traditional wooden material towers and blades.
- Check that your windmill construction project and plans adhere to the policies and regulations as it relates to building a windmill in your area.
- The windmill foundation can also be constructed from wood or sandbags if concrete proves to be expensive, however, concrete is the preferred method.
- It is advised to select one or more volunteers to assist you to take on this project.