In the hot summer holidays when everyone wants to be outside, an awning provides the comfort of enjoying the cool breeze while staying away from the harsh effects of the sun. Building an awning requires time but can also lower the costs on your pocket. Whether you would like to attempt it on your own or you would like help from a friend, building one is economical. So follow the instructions below and build your own awning.
- Measuring tape
- 2 screw hooks
- Sewing machine or needle and thread
- Tarpaulin (tarp) or desired Cloth (material depends on your liking)
- Steel rod
- Screw eyes
- The first step is to measure the area where the awning is going to be placed and make sure the material that is going to be used is slightly larger than that measurement.
- Measure the length of the tarp and run a straight running stitch to hem the edges. Then make a hole at the end of the tarp where a set of rommets will be placed, the part that is going to be faced outwards
- Drill two set of holes into the wall at the location (called pilot holes) then take the screw eyes and insert them into the holes. These are where the tarp will be connected to the wall, when extending out to form the full awning.
- Take the tarp and stretch it across the length of the location connected to the pilot holes, where the awning will be.
- Place a key ring into each grommet on the part that is against the house, one on the left and one the right screw hook which creates each side of the awning.
- Insert the steel rods into a hole into the ground or make them sit flat on the pavement. Then attach pole into the grommet that is inserted into the tarp.
- Then use the rope to tether the awning down to the steel rods in the ground.
Tips and Warning
- Using a sewing machine to hem the material makes your job easier but it can be done manually.
- Making a hole to insert the steel rods is the preferred method for placing the rods for the awning.
- Special skirting’s can be applied around the edges of the awning to add more flair to its design.
For more information on How to Build a Awning read: