In almost every household, building or vehicle some music can be heard playing, this is all made possible by using sound speakers. The speaker box is used as the enclosure for the speaker device so It can be installed on devices that play audio such as your component sets, computers. You can use this article to build and customize your very own speaker box to your specific liking. It can be done alone or if you prefer you can invite volunteers to help.
- Drill (with drill bits)
- Razor blade
- Sand paper
- Spray glue
- Find out what size your speaker box you want to make by finding out the size speaker driver you would like to buy. The speaker box should be slightly bigger than the speaker device that will be placed in it.
- Research and select the type of wood you want to use to make speaker box. The preferred choices are usually fiberboard or particle board, both these boards vibrate sound very well. Use six equal sized pieces of wood or purchase a large piece of wood and use the jigsaw to cut the patterns into the six pieces. Pieces should be made for the front, back, sides and the center divider.
- Use the router to make a circle to place the speaker device. Use the holes on the side edges along with the screws to fasten the speaker together. Then use the sandpaper to smooth the holes and edges.
- Use the drill and make holes in the board where you want to fit the screws. Use the screwdriver and attach the sides of the boxes together with screws, nuts and washers. The screws that are best as the ones with no threads at the top, this allows the boards to be tightly screwed together. Then cover the front of the speaker driver and the screws. Staple or glue the speaker clothe into the wood.
- Create a hole in the back panel of the speaker box, where the wiring can be extended to the outside so it can be plugged into the wall for electricity.
- Glue in the sides of the box together so the wood will hold together better. This creates extra re-enforcement along with the screws. Then add small wedges or braces to the inside of the speaker box so that the sound remains steady and doesn’t vibrate side to side. Use small braces so the sound can still move around the speaker box freely.
- Seal the entire speaker box on the inside edges with silicone; this prevents air from escaping the box. The speaker box should be stuffed with fiberglass and polyfill to insulate the box. All these will help to increase the quality of the sound.
- Install the speaker connections so it can be joined to a audio playback and seal off the edge where it leads from. Attach the front panel to the rest of the speaker box then place the speaker device in so that it is properly flushed and air tight and there you have made your own speaker box.
Tips and Warning
- A good way to have your speaker box have a great look is to paint it.
- Always buy extra wood, in case an error is made when cutting the wood.
- Some persons install grills on the front of the speaker box for extra protection.
- Carpeting your speaker box is also another option to give it a different look and feel
For more information on How to Build a Speaker Box read: