When you have completed a long day and you are looking for peace and relaxation, a spa can be an excellent choice for relieving your stress. Attaching a deck onto the spa can add a little more feel to the structure and give you another reason to really want to get home in the evenings. Follow these simple steps and you will know what to do to make your own spa deck.
- Wood sealer
- Materials required are:
- Wood (Pressure treated 4*4)
- Deck boards
- Pier blocks
- Edge band support doors
- Floor joists
- Source and research the type of deck design you wish to use for spa deck. Then purchase all the needed materials to start building including the type of wood, pier block, joists etc.
- 2. Arrange the pier blocks around the spa so that it doesn’t go more than 4 feet apart from each other and use the level to make sure it is properly aligned.
- Place the 4*4 wood pieces onto the pier blocks according to the desired height from the design.
- Outline the floor joist and edge band to the measurement of the spa deck. Then use the hammer and nail to connect 12 inch centers onto joist hangers. Cut the floor joist panel and nail down each piece then use the drill and screw to tighten the floor joists.
- Fasten the wood paneling for the decking with 1 inch nails on top of the floor joists and then use 2 – 3 inch screws to join the floor joists.
- Install the lattice paneling to the deck to for the skirting. This also adds more architectural design to the spa deck.
- Use waterproof wood sealer to seal the spa deck.
Tips and Warning
- Screws are always the better choice when connecting the deck boards to the joists. Nails normally tend to wear out over time, while screws are more long lasting.
- Make certain that the pier blocks are installed firmly into the ground so that it doesn’t sway in the future.
- It is recommended that you continue to apply wood sealer to the deck, to continue to maintain it. The wood you purchase should also be perfectly straight.