It can be said that everyone has something that would like to keep safe or hide from the world. A secret compartment allows you to have somewhere that can store things that may be precious to us that we wish others not to see. A secret compartment can be made or installed almost anywhere and in almost anything. This article will provide some information as to how you can have a secret compartment of your own.
- Wall (Hollow)
- A thick book
- Decide where you want to make the secret compartment. This may depend on what you would like to conceal. The size of the object will most likely be a big determining factor in how and where the compartment will be built.
- For this article, we will use a hollow space that may be found almost anywhere in your house. Tap along the walls to find out where all the hollow spaces are.
- Now make a hole by using a coping saw. Try and make the hole as neat as possible because remember it will have to be concealed at a later time, so try not to make it look suspicious. Also, make the hole smaller than the object you plan to hide.
- Then use something that draws little suspicion to cover the area. A good example of this would be a picture frame or a rack of any kind.
- Another great place to put a secret item is on the heel of a shoe. Find one of your shoes that has a thick heel, then lift the pad from the inside of the shoe and cut out a space with a knife and a drill then place the object inside and glue back the flap onto it. No one will ever know
- Books have also been used for secret compartments. Just use a knife to cut out the middle area of the book and place what you need to and tape it up.
- Create a secret compartment in a drawer section of your desk. Use a razor to cut a liner, using the same type of wood used to make the desk. Make the liner the exact size of the base of the drawer. Take a washer and glue it to each corner of each base of the drawers (including the secret compartment). Install a magnet onto the false drawer so it can be pushed up to be opened.
Tips and Warning
- If you want to keep your secret compartment be sure not to inform anyone or access it when persons are around who will see you when you try to access a hidden item.
- When making a secret compartment for your desk, if you are not able to source the same type of wood you may try to revarnish or repaint the desk so everything blends in.
- You can also make the secret compartment in the drawer so that a pen can be inserted into a hole to have it opened.