Unless you are willing to house your pet dog within the confines of your own home, it will need a place to shelter from bad weather and sleep at night. Building a dog house is the perfect way to accommodate the needs of your dog.
- 4’x8’ sheet of 5/8” exterior siding
- 1-8’ 2×4
- 1 10’’ 2×4 rated for outdoor use nails, 16d and 8d
- Shingles (optional)
- Paint or non toxic wood preservative
- Tape measure
- Circular saw
- Dust mask
- Hearing protection
- Lay panels on the back siding; carefully cut out the panels on the lines. Cut the entry hole large enough to allow your dog to move in and out.
- Section the 10’’ 2×4 into the following pieces, 2 pieces 22 7/8” long platform sides, 2 pieces 20 ¾” long for the platform front and rear and 4 pieces 6” long for the platform legs.
- Round the bottom of the 6” platform legs; align tops and nail them flush against the inside edges of the 22 7/8” long side pieces of the platform.
- Nail the 20 ¾” front, back and side pieces in place to assemble the frame. Ensure the front and back pieces overlap the ends of the side pieces.
- Align the first floor panel with the frame without overhanging the edges. If the floor and frame do not fit, check to see if the frame was assembled properly. If the frame was assembled properly but there exists a slight overhang in a couple places, trim off excess with a circular saw.
- When all is okay, install both floor panels.
- Separate the 8’’ 2×4 into 2×2 stocks to be used for the frame elements. From these pieces cut 4 pieces flush against the short side edges. Position one frame piece starting at the top of each corner, leaving a 3 ½” space at the bottom to allow the side panel to overhang the platform.
- Attach frame pieces to the inside roof line of the front and rear panels. Allow the frame pieces to meet at the top and extend along the roof line to approximately 2 ½” from the sides.
- Nail the back of the doghouse into place. First against the platform, then into the 2”x2” frame members in the corners. Ensure it is aligned with the sides.
- Repeat the process for the front.
- Cut and smooth all the edges of any exposed edges that could cause injuries to the dog.
- For the roof, nail a 22” long piece of 2”x2” flush against the top inside edge of one of the roof panels. Centre the piece 5” in from the edges of the panel.
- Affix the first roof panel in position nailing it to the frame attached to the top of the front and rear of the doghouse.
- Install the remaining roof panel.
- If using shingles, install them. Smooth any sharp edges remaining then prime and paint the house if it is to your preference.
- Ensure nails are accurately driven. You do not want the points of nails sticking into the living space of your pet; they could cause injury.