A castle is relatively similar to any other building. In the same way a house is planned and built, a castle too has to be planned and built. The only major differences, are the style in which castles are usually built and the materials that are commonly used. This project is not suitable for beginners and cannot be achieved alone.
- Sand or
- Concrete mixture
- Large machinery
- Determine where you will build your castle; large plots of land are ideal for castle structures. Consult the relevant authorities with regards to building your castle before you go ahead with construction and design. Once you receive approval, create and propose your design; have an architect draw the design for you. Get the design approved then gather the required tools, materials and assistance.
- Traditionally many castles have moats. Although this feature is optional, if you decide to build a castle with a moat, you must build the moat first–and do ensure it is included in the design. Use large machinery to excavate a deep moat. Pour concrete mix into the excavated foundation structure and add some stones.
- Create the castle foundation by pouring a levelled layer of concrete and stones. Allow it to dry completely before continuing.
- Set and align stones to make the walls of the castle, using bricklaying technique and a layer of mortar between each layer of stone. Small stones are easier to manage, but large stones will create a stronger structure. Do ensure that the stones overlap each other, as this will provide added support.
- To add doors and windows, create their frames as you build the structure, so they can be installed into the frames later. Use stained glass windows or whatever windows you believe will add to the overall decor of your castle.
- Once the building itself is constructed and the doors, windows and other components are installed, add a roof. The roof is usually made of wood or stone–use a strong material that will weather harsh external conditions without fail.
- If you are building a castle to use it as a house, plumbing and electricity are necessary considerations. Hire a professional electrician and plumber to cover the pertinent details and install the necessary items.
Tips and warnings
- Use pictures of existing castles as reference for making and designing your own. This will help you determine what type of castle you want to build and what best suits your tastes. When you’ve created the blueprint, always refer to it during the construction process. If you leave it out of the process of constructing your castle, then careless mistakes might be made resulting in the waste of resources and time.
- Do ensure that you enlist the services of experts as they will be better able to point out problems and weaknesses during construction. This is in no way a project to be taken lightly if doing it on a large scale.